This topic was inspired by a parishioner at my new parish who has an extreme sensitivity to wheat gluten. We use the special low-gluten hosts baked by the wonderful Benedictine community in Clyde, Missouri.
But let’s get practical.
- Should the burden be placed on the allergic person to inform the priest, and possibly other Communion ministers when the low gluten host is in the mix?
- How should the low-gluten host be handled for the ultra-sensitive? Remember, even wheat dust is a problem and even the Benedictines prepare their special bread and ship it from totally separate rooms.
- Do you use a separate ciborium or paten?
- If not, would use use a pyx or an envelope in the mix of ordinary bread?
- What level of complexity do you introduce to the lay ministers, or do you just let the presider handle it?