391. It is for the same Conferences of Bishops to attend to the translations of the biblical texts that are used in the celebration of Mass, exercising special care in this. For it is out of the Sacred Scripture that the readings are read and are explained in the Homily and that Psalms are sung, and it is by the influence of Sacred Scripture and at its prompting that prayers, orations, and liturgical chants are fashioned in such a way that it is from Sacred Scripture that actions and signs derive their meaning.[Cf. Sacrosanctum Concilium 24]
Language should be used that corresponds to the capacity for understanding of the faithful and is suitable for public proclamation, while maintaining those characteristics that are proper to the different ways of speaking used in the biblical books.
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve in worship and spiritual life in a midwestern university parish.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- Checking Up On Secular Christmas
- Mediator Dei 51-53
- Aparecida 9-12: The Challenge of New Times
- Those Uppity Germans
- EG 9: Delightful and Comforting Joy
- C8 Looks At CDWDS
- Mediator Dei 50
- Douthat On Liberals On Pope Francis
- Aparecida 6-8: The Giftedness of Latin America and the Caribbean
- Jesuit Missionary, First and Foremost
Jane on Cardinal Mahony Featured Liam on Those Uppity Germans FrMichael on Jesuit Missionary, First and… Liam on Jesuit Missionary, First and… Jesuit Missionary, F… on From The Abbey, To The Farthes… Leo on Cardinal Mahony Featured Devin on Advent Music: E’en So, L… Todd on Funeral Lectionary: Wisdom… Charles E. Miller, J… on Funeral Lectionary: Wisdom… EG 6: Lent Without E… on Funeral Lectionary: Lamentatio…
- 2,769,414 hits