While scanning commentary on the Bills and Amerks, I found this interesting piece on my hometown sports page. I couldn’t print highlights from the article without copying the whole thing, so please go read the whole thing.
10 signs of a good youth sports program:
1. It has implemented comprehensive risk-management and child protection programs.
2. Is child centered.
3. It does not exclude (i.e., cut) children before fifth grade.
4. Before fifth grade, teams comprise kids of the same age and neighborhood but mixed abilities.
5. It uses independent evaluators, not parent coaches, to select teams.
6. It has implemented rules for equal playing time (before sixth grade) and significant playing time (after sixth grade).
7. It’s accountable to parents and solicits their input.
8. It requires that coaches receive training and are evaluated every season.
9. Parent training is mandatory.
10. Sensible limits are set for the number of practices and games per week.
The site http://momsteam.com/ has a ton of useful information.