(A)t age 52, (Father Ray McHenry) found himself in a failed relationship, with no job and no prospects. It was the fall of 2005, and he often made the two-hour trip to his hometown of Des Moines, occasionally running into friends who asked, “Why don’t you come home?” The question was more than about where to live.
He continued to preside at the Eucharist for the Council Bluffs group, but in January of this year sent them a letter of resignation. Back in Des Moines, he began working as a volunteer at the St. Mary Family Center, which distributes food and clothing to the poor. He renewed acquaintances with priest friends who agreed to talk to Bishop Joseph Charron about meeting with McHenry.
McHenry met with the bishop, and was surprised that Charron said it was possible for him to return to his ministry, and that the process didn’t have to go to Rome. He asked McHenry to get counseling, which he had already begun, and make an eight-day retreat. Afterward, he could make a profession of faith and renew his promises to the bishop.
“I can’t say enough about Bishop Charron,” said McHenry. “He was the forgiving father to a prodigal son.”
After a brief ceremony in the bishop’s office on Wednesday of Holy Week, he returned to his volunteer work at St. Mary and began helping out in parishes on weekends. Then in July, he became administrator of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in Indianola, just south of Des Moines.
- Misericordia et Misera 15: At The Hour Of Death
- Amoris Laetitia 248-249: Disparity
- Misericordia et Misera 14: Careful, Profound, Far-Sighted Discernment
- Amoris Laetitia 247: “Mixed” Marriages and Eucharistic Sharing
- Misericordia et Misera 13: Consolation
- Amoris Laetitia 246: Support for Children
- Star Dawn
- When The Cup Is All Empty
- Misericordia et Misera 12: An Extension of Penance Faculties
- Amoris Laetitia 245: Consequences For Children In Broken Families
Vatican II pages
Todd on More Mercy Dick Martin on More Mercy Liam on Misericordia et Misera 12: An… Liam on Mary FAQ FAQ Liam on Mary FAQ FAQ Todd on Mary FAQ FAQ Liam on Mary FAQ FAQ Todd on Exile Symphony Liam on Exile Symphony Misericordia et Mise… on More Mercy
- 7,287,113 hits