Here’s the end of the Confirmation Rite’s introduction: some brief reminders for the sacristan:
- The following should be prepared for the administration of confirmation:
- When confirmation is given within Mass, the vestments prescribed for the celebration of Mass both for the bishop and for any assisting priests who concelebrate with him. If the Mass is celebrated by someone else, the minister of confirmation as well as any priests joining him in administering the sacrament should take part in the Mass wearing the vestments prescribed for administering confirmation: alb, stole, and, for the minister, the cope; these also are the vestments worn when confirmation is given outside Mass;
- Chairs for the bishop and the priests assisting him;
- Vessel (or vessels) for the chrism;
- Roman Pontifical or Roman Ritual;
- When confirmation is given within Mass, the requisites for celebration of Mass and for communion under both kinds, if it is to be given;
- The requisites for the washing of the hands after the anointing of those to be confirmed.
Confirmation has been rather quiet, discussion-wise. No objections out there to a Catholic order or even unity for the initiation sacraments? Or anything else we’ve pondered?