1. If she’s messed up on church teaching, it’s likely others are too. If others are open to correction, then that’s not a bad next step.
2. Ensoulment discussions may be worth having, but they do not impact the church’s position on abortion.
3. Let’s also be clear that the moment of conception does not always produce a unique human being. For identical multiples, separation and differentiation occurs after conception.
4. Heartbeat at three weeks, brain waves at eight weeks, right?
5. Bottom line is that we go with the experts. Politicians don’t have the church teaching right, just politics. Scientists don’t have theology down, but evolution is a positive. Theologians don’t have evolution nailed, but they do on faith.