166. When the Prayer after Communion is concluded, brief announcements should be made to the people, if there are any.
167. Then the Priest, extending his hands, greets the people, saying, The Lord be with you. They reply, And with your spirit. The Priest, joining his hands again and then immediately placing his left hand on his breast, raises his right hand and adds, May almighty God bless you and, as he makes the Sign of the Cross over the people, he continues, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. All reply, Amen.
On certain days and occasions this blessing, in accordance with the rubrics, is expanded and expressed by a Prayer over the People or another more solemn formula.
A Bishop blesses the people with the appropriate formula, making the Sign of the Cross three times over the people.[Cf. Ceremonial of Bishops, editio typica, 1984, nos. 1118-1121]
168. Immediately after the Blessing, with hands joined, the Priest adds, Ite, missa est (Go forth, the Mass is ended) and all reply, Thanks be to God.
169. Then the Priest venerates the altar as usual with a kiss and, after making a profound bow with the lay ministers, he withdraws with them.
170. If, however, another liturgical action follows the Mass, the Concluding Rites, that is, the Greeting, the Blessing, and the Dismissal, are omitted.
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve in worship and spiritual life in a midwestern university parish.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- DPPL 242: Images Larger Than Life
- Reconciliation Lectionary: Isaiah 58:1-11
- Mutuae Relationes 51: Overabundance of New Institutes
- Unity Without Uniformity
- New Vestment
- A Little Votive Prevention
- Conflict of Charitable Interest
- DPPL 241: Veneration Beyond The Image
- Spurs Block Swans Ascent
- The Slow Boat From Ghana
Liam on Mutuae Relationes 51: Overabun… FrMichael on Mutuae Relationes 51: Overabun… Jim McCrea on A Dissent Against A Bisho… The Slow Boat From G… on No Suffocation FrMichael on A Dissent Against A Bisho… Liam on Lenten Reflections: Viriditas Todd on A Dissent Against A Bisho… Liam on A Dissent Against A Bisho… therasberrypalace on Gregory of Narek Katharine Drexel, Si… on Two Weeks of Worthy Women: Kat…
- 4,539,339 hits