391. It is for the same Conferences of Bishops to attend to the translations of the biblical texts that are used in the celebration of Mass, exercising special care in this. For it is out of the Sacred Scripture that the readings are read and are explained in the Homily and that Psalms are sung, and it is by the influence of Sacred Scripture and at its prompting that prayers, orations, and liturgical chants are fashioned in such a way that it is from Sacred Scripture that actions and signs derive their meaning.[Cf. Sacrosanctum Concilium 24]
Language should be used that corresponds to the capacity for understanding of the faithful and is suitable for public proclamation, while maintaining those characteristics that are proper to the different ways of speaking used in the biblical books.
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve in worship and spiritual life in a midwestern university parish.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- Dives in Misericordiae VII: An Incarnate Mercy
- Indifference and Desire
- Laudato Si 44: Cities Criticized
- Dives in Misericordiae 12d: Moral Permissiveness
- Hope and the Examen
- Laudato Si 43: Decline in the Quality of Human Life and the Breakdown of Society
- Good-byes and Busy
- Dives in Misericordiae 12c: When Justice Is Distorted
- Jesuit Philately
- Laudato Si 42: The Need for Ecological Research
Liam on Good-byes and Busy Jim McCrea on Good-byes and Busy leefstrong on Let Our Passing Be … Atheist Max on Let Our Passing Be … Atheist Max on Let Our Passing Be … Atheist Max on Let Our Passing Be … Todd on Let Our Passing Be … Liam on Let Our Passing Be … Todd on On Trans Todd on What is an Epiclesis?
- 5,252,806 hits