391. It is for the same Conferences of Bishops to attend to the translations of the biblical texts that are used in the celebration of Mass, exercising special care in this. For it is out of the Sacred Scripture that the readings are read and are explained in the Homily and that Psalms are sung, and it is by the influence of Sacred Scripture and at its prompting that prayers, orations, and liturgical chants are fashioned in such a way that it is from Sacred Scripture that actions and signs derive their meaning.[Cf. Sacrosanctum Concilium 24]
Language should be used that corresponds to the capacity for understanding of the faithful and is suitable for public proclamation, while maintaining those characteristics that are proper to the different ways of speaking used in the biblical books.
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve a parish in music ministry.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- Dives in Misericordiae 13fg: A State of Conversion
- Laudato Si 49: Cries of the Earth, of the Poor
- Mt Rainier
- Open Thread on Proof-Texting
- Dives in Misericordiae 13de: An Infinite Mercy
- Laudato Si 48: Global Inequality
- Dives in Misericordiae 13c: Word and Sacraments
- San Ignacio de Loyola, the Opera
- Laudato Si 47: The Internet
- Dives in Misericordiae 13b: Centered on Christ
Liam on The Lost Science Found Dick Martin on The Lost Science Found Jim McCrea on Open Thread on Proof-Text… Jim McCrea on Mt Rainier Todd on The Lost Science Found Dick Martin on The Lost Science Found Todd on Dives in Misericordiae 13fg: A… FrMichael on Laudato Si 49: Cries of the Ea… FrMichael on Dives in Misericordiae 13fg: A… Devin on Mt Rainier
- 5,274,418 hits