391. It is for the same Conferences of Bishops to attend to the translations of the biblical texts that are used in the celebration of Mass, exercising special care in this. For it is out of the Sacred Scripture that the readings are read and are explained in the Homily and that Psalms are sung, and it is by the influence of Sacred Scripture and at its prompting that prayers, orations, and liturgical chants are fashioned in such a way that it is from Sacred Scripture that actions and signs derive their meaning.[Cf. Sacrosanctum Concilium 24]
Language should be used that corresponds to the capacity for understanding of the faithful and is suitable for public proclamation, while maintaining those characteristics that are proper to the different ways of speaking used in the biblical books.
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve in worship and spiritual life in a midwestern university parish.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- DPPL 280: Biblical Pilgrimage
- Misericordiae Vultus 4a: Vatican II
- DPPL 279: Pilgrimage
- Misericordiae Vultus 3: The Jubilee Opens
- Humanae Vitae 7: Doctrinal Principles
- DPPL 278: Ecumenism and Marian Shrines
- Sunset for CDF-LCWR Tussle
- Misericordiae Vultus 2: Contemplating Mercy
- DPPL 277: Sanctuaries and Ecumenical Commitment
- Humanae Vitae 6: The Magisterium’s Reply
Jen on Misericordiae Vultus 4a: Vatic… Liam on Misericordiae Vultus 3: The Ju… Dick Martin on Open Thread On Born Again David on Misericordiae Vultus 3: The Ju… Atheist Max on Open Thread On Born Again Jen on Misericordiae Vultus 2: Contem… Dick Martin on Open Thread On Born Again Dick Martin on Open Thread On Born Again Atheist Max on Open Thread On Born Again FrMichael on Humanae Vitae 6: The Magisteri…
- 4,752,354 hits