397. The principle shall moreover be respected, according to which each particular Church must be in accord with the universal Church not only regarding the doctrine of the faith and sacramental signs, but also as to the usages universally received from apostolic and unbroken tradition. These are to be kept not only so that errors may be avoided, but also so that the faith may be handed on in its integrity, since the Church’s rule of prayer (lex orandi) corresponds to her rule of faith (lex credendi).[Cf. Varietates Legitimae 26-27]The Roman Rite constitutes a notable and precious part of the liturgical treasure and patrimony of the Catholic Church; its riches are conducive to the good of the universal Church, so that their loss would gravely harm her.
This Rite has in the course of the centuries not only preserved the liturgical usages that arose in the city of Rome, but has also in a deep, organic, and harmonious way integrated into itself certain other usages derived from the customs and culture of different peoples and of various particular Churches whether of the West or the East, so acquiring a certain supra-regional character. As to our own times, the identity and unitary expression of this Rite is found in the typical editions of the liturgical books promulgated by authority of the Supreme Pontiff, and in the liturgical books corresponding to them approved for their territories by the Conferences of Bishops and endowed with the recognitio of the Apostolic See.[Cf. Vicesimus Quintus Annus 16; Varietates Legitimae 2, 36]
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve in worship and spiritual life in a midwestern university parish.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- Reconciliation Lectionary: Luke 22:54-62
- Mutuae Relationes 52: Diocesan Coordination
- DPPL 242: Images Larger Than Life
- Reconciliation Lectionary: Isaiah 58:1-11
- Mutuae Relationes 51: Overabundance of New Institutes
- Unity Without Uniformity
- New Vestment
- A Little Votive Prevention
- Conflict of Charitable Interest
- DPPL 241: Veneration Beyond The Image
Todd on New Vestment Melody on New Vestment Katherine on New Vestment Katherine on New Vestment Melody on New Vestment Todd on New Vestment Bruce Janiga on New Vestment Katherine on New Vestment Liam on Mutuae Relationes 51: Overabun… FrMichael on Mutuae Relationes 51: Overabun…
- 4,541,406 hits