397. The principle shall moreover be respected, according to which each particular Church must be in accord with the universal Church not only regarding the doctrine of the faith and sacramental signs, but also as to the usages universally received from apostolic and unbroken tradition. These are to be kept not only so that errors may be avoided, but also so that the faith may be handed on in its integrity, since the Church’s rule of prayer (lex orandi) corresponds to her rule of faith (lex credendi).[Cf. Varietates Legitimae 26-27]The Roman Rite constitutes a notable and precious part of the liturgical treasure and patrimony of the Catholic Church; its riches are conducive to the good of the universal Church, so that their loss would gravely harm her.
This Rite has in the course of the centuries not only preserved the liturgical usages that arose in the city of Rome, but has also in a deep, organic, and harmonious way integrated into itself certain other usages derived from the customs and culture of different peoples and of various particular Churches whether of the West or the East, so acquiring a certain supra-regional character. As to our own times, the identity and unitary expression of this Rite is found in the typical editions of the liturgical books promulgated by authority of the Supreme Pontiff, and in the liturgical books corresponding to them approved for their territories by the Conferences of Bishops and endowed with the recognitio of the Apostolic See.[Cf. Vicesimus Quintus Annus 16; Varietates Legitimae 2, 36]
about Todd FlowerdayA Roman Catholic lay person, married (since 1996), with one adopted child (since 2001). I serve in worship and spiritual life in a midwestern university parish.
about John Donaghy
John is a lay missionary since 2007 with a parish in western Honduras. Before that he served in campus ministry and social justice ministry in Iowa. His ministry blog is http://hermanojuancito.blogspot.com
He also blogs reflections on the lectionary and saints/heroes/events of the date at http://walktheway.wordpress.com
He'll be a long-term contributor here analyzing the Latin American bishops' document from their 2007 Aparecida Conference.
Vatican II pages
- From The Sky, Diamonds
- PS 40: Liturgy of the Hours During the Triduum
- Secret Meetings … So?
- Dives in Misericordiae 1b: The Revelation of Mercy
- PS 39: The Paschal Fast
- A Council, Full Greatness To Come
- Dives in Misericordiae 1a: Mercy Revealed
- PS 38: Easter Triduum
- Reality Check
- Humanae Vitae 31: A Great Work
Liam on PS 40: Liturgy of the Hours Du… Liam on PS 39: The Paschal Fast Joyce Donahue on PS 39: The Paschal Fast Liam on PS 39: The Paschal Fast Atheist Max on Reality Check Chris on Reality Check Atheist Max on Reality Check Chris on Reality Check Fr. Seraphin Conley,… on Dives in Misericordiae 1a: Mer… FrMichael on Reality Check
- 4,953,452 hits