In the world, lay people must take the lead, especially where government is concerned.
541. The Church should also help consolidate fragile democracies, in the positive democratization process in Latin America and the Caribbean, although today there are grave challenges and threats of authoritarian deviations.
An agenda for laypersons in the world:
It is important to
- educate for peace,
- give seriousness and credibility to the continuity of our civic institutions,
- defend and promote human rights,
- be especially vigilant for religious freedom,
- and cooperate to bring about greater national consensus.
For deeper examination, check an English translation of the 2007 document from the Aparecida Conference.