40. The Synod recognized that “a substantial number of young people, for all sorts of reasons, do not ask the Church for anything because they do not see her as significant for their lives. Some even ask expressly to be left alone, as they find the presence of the Church a nuisance, even an irritant. This request does not always stem from uncritical or impulsive contempt.
Often it is well-grounded, including a liturgical point on number three here:
It can also have serious and understandable reasons:
- sexual and financial scandals;
- a clergy ill-prepared to engage effectively with the sensitivities of the young;
- lack of care in homily preparation and the presentation of the word of God;
- the passive role assigned to the young within the Christian community;
- the Church’s difficulty in explaining her doctrine and ethical positions to contemporary society”.[FD 53]
Remember to check Pope Francis’ Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation on this link at the Vatican site.
The text in color is © Copyright – Libreria Editrice Vaticana