Well yes, that whiteness is certainly a danger.
I’ve attempted to engage a few people on social media with their alarm (which I know is genuine) about social media groups getting “cancelled.” I was also following some news where law enforcement agencies determined that overlooking the president’s January 6th mob was a sound approach compared to women, blacks, and others of non-whiteness.
Big, big error, it seems.
Ask white policemen who were trampled, injured, and killed in the events at the Capitol.
Am I concerned for conservatives as a “big” group getting put down by progressives as a “little” group? No. First, I think that diehard conservatives and progressives inhabit small portions on the fringes of the political spectrum. Second, if seventy-four million Americans really wanted to hunt down Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi and put them to death, I have no problem with a smaller group of eighty-one million sending them to the time-out corner.
I do have observations about the early days of 2021:
- I’m concerned about non-violent protesters losing their jobs.
- That said, if a person violated the law at the Capitol last week and is convicted to prison time, I don’t see how an employer can be required to hold a job until its yellow ribbon time on the old oak tree.
- But I am in favor of ex-convicts being able to get good employment and return to society as law-abiding taxpaying voters and otherwise good citizens.
- I’ve been a skeptic on social media from the start. I use it to connect with family and friends. I enjoy the political or religious repartee. But it’s a pale second place to actually engaging people live and in person.
- I recognize that so-called big tech is little different from big ag, big oil, big media. They’re in it to make money for shareholders and huge money for founders. They use me, and I use them.
- I don’t think a social media group has any more right to a mostly free platform than I have for desiring to post an essay on a more popular blogger’s website.
- If it seems like some conservatives are getting picked on this past week, maybe it’s because they’ve gotten largely a free pass most of the last year. It’s just catching up to them.
Politically, religiously, or whatever, I have no problem with conservatives in principle. I observe many of them have migrated far away from original creeds. Their groups seem little interested in tacking farther from their extremist portions. They will lose the center, people of color, the young, the newcomers to the US. No wonder they seem to want to obstruct good things from the majority of their neighbors if the other side is behind it. No wonder they want to limit voting opportunities. No wonder they often have to peddle lies. No wonder they want to cut off hard-working contributors to our society if they are coming from other nations.
As an older white man, I strive to look to where others are persecuted. Women. Blacks. Young people. As a Christian I’m concerned about the religious persecution of Jews, Muslims, and yes, even pagans. As one born in this country, I’m concerned about immigrants, refugees, and visitors. As one who has abandoned public protesting, I’m concerned about peaceful protesters and their mistreatment by yes, old white male Christian Americans.
Yes, some white people present a grave danger to the US. Seems like last week woke up some people. Good. And may good come of it.